If you only stop into one church in Rome make it the Pantheon! it is just incredible!
FACTS I LOVE ABOUT THE ABOUT THE PANTHEON
- The current Pantheon is the third one built on this site. The first was built in 27 BC by Marcus Agrippa but later burned down, the second built by Emperor Domition was struck by lightning the current version was built by Hadrian in 118-128 AD.
- The Pantheon dome is an architectural marvel. It was the biggest dome in the world for 1300 years, and still remains the largest dome in the world that is not reinforced. This was achieved this by using lighter and less thick material as it got higher. Originally the dome was covered in bronze, this was removed to build part of the Vatican. Romans were into recycling well before the rest of the world!
- In keeping with the classical rules of architecture, the height of the building is exactly the same as the width.
- The Oculus is the opening in the center of the dome, at one point this was the only light source in the building.
- The pure bronze double doors are 21 feet high and weigh 20 tons each. At one point the were covered in gold!
- The columns at the entrance were quarried in Egypt and brought by boat and barge to Rome. Each on weighs and incredible 60 tons. Imagine the strength and engineering that it took to build this master piece.
- The Pantheon still serves as a church today and is one of the oldest continuously used places of worship in Rome.
Are you ready to join us? Come discover history by walking the streets of Rome with us!